Last week I purchased my HTC HD7 phone and loved it. WP7 phone requires Zune software to sync music and video with PC. However, Zune software installation was not as smooth as I would expect.
First, the default installer failed. There was a link on the error page which points me to a second larger download. I was not sure which target box the default download was designed for… apparently not for my Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
The bigger problem came when I ran the larger installer. I was greeted with
This time the error link did not help. I searched the internet and found several links on Zune installation error 0×80070643, but none of them resolved my problem. Finally I decided to do some trouble shooting myself.
For setup errors, I need to check setup logs. According what I’ve read, setup logs usually appear in
So I reran “startzune.exe” and then checked the above location. To my surprise, I didn’t see any new log files. Where did the log files go?
I knew an easy way to find it out. I started Process Monitor, then reran “startzune.exe”.
Scanning Process Monitor log, I realized my log file went to another account. I have 2 accounts on my box: my normal user account with limited permission, and an “Admin” account with Administrator permission. The installer was run under “Admin” account, so the log file is under “C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp”. There are only two Zune log files there. Searching “Error” led me to:
This line caught my eye:
Product: Zune — Error 1606. Could not access network location %AppData%\.
I recalled I had seen this error on my box before – when updating Adobe Acrobat Reader. Also I recalled I had touched the registry on this to fix a Windows Update error a while back. Probably I messed up my registry? So I started “regedit”. Fortunately it landed there directly. I hadn’t touched my register ever since then.
The “AppData” entry here looked fine. I then verified on my normal user account, “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders” also looks fine.
Next, I logged off my normal user account and switched user to “Admin”. Rechecked HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry:
There we go!
This looks like an incorrect shell folder replacement entry. You can’t declare “AppData” path to be the value of “AppData”. Not sure how it went there.
I change its value to “%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming”. Logged off to ensure the value get written to disk. The retried installing Zune: